I didn’t have stitch holders with me when I knitted the saddles so I put the live stitches on lengths of the working yarn. Because I didn’t use contrasting yarn, I didn’t notice that I had one oriented the wrong way when I picked up stitches for the back. I toyed with the idea of just picking up stitches along the cast-on edge of the errant saddle, but that would spoil the continuous line from neck to cuff and it would have been apparent (to me at least) that the stitch pattern changed directions at the join.
Here’s what I can salvage: two saddles, one front, and a few balls of kinky yarn.
Thank goodness I didn’t decide to knit the entire body before the sleeves!