Chocolate Moose Hat
Ann Budd, chef-extraordinaire, whipped up the recipe for this whimsical hat while binge-watching baking shows. Layers of warm wool are folded around the ears and stranded colourwork decorates the brim with a kiss of moose and a sprinkle of traditional snowflakes. Add a swirl of i-cord to the top for the perfect finish. This hat can be served in three sizes— perfect for a family setting.
- Circumference: 18 1⁄2 (22, 24) ins / 47 (56, 61) cm (approx).
- Height: 8 (8 3⁄4, 9) ins / 20.5 (22, 23) cm.
To fit a child (medium adult, large adult).
- 22 sts & 28 rnds = 4 ins / 10 cm over charted colourwork pattern, blocked.
- 24 sts & 32 rnds = 4 ins / 10 cm over St st worked in solid-colour, blocked. Take the time to check gauge and adjust needle size if necessary.
- River City Yarns Epic Yarn 194 m / 212 yds per 100 g ball; 100% Peruvian Highland Wool in Marine Blue 430 (MC) and Camel 150 (CC), 1 ball of each.
Only about 22 g / 1 oz of the contrast colour needed for the medium adult hat.
NEEDLES & NOTIONS
- US Size 6 / 4 mm 24 ins / 60 cm circular needle
- Set of US size 6 / 4 mm needles for working a small circumference in the round: DPNs, 1 long circular, or short circulars.
- Pair of US size 6 / 4 mm DPN’s for working I-cord
- Stitch marker
- Tapestry needle