Once again, I’m taking part in the Alzheimer’s Association’s (alz.org) The Longest Day event. This annual event takes place on the summer solstice–the day with the most light. On this day volunteers spend the daylight hours doing something they love while raising awareness and hopefully a lot of funds for to help find a cure for this dreadful disease.
For my part, I plan to knit from dawn to dusk on Sunday, June 18. Although it’s not quite the summer solstice, it’s close enough for me!
In anticipation of the event, I designed the Fading Memories Cowl 2023 (shown here). On June 18, I’ll knit another version of the cowl while partaking in five online knit-a-longs sponsored by some of my favorite yarn shops. I’d love for you to purchase the Fading Memories Cowl 2023 and knit along with me. I’ll donate $5 to Alzheimer’s research for every pattern purchased!
To help keep me focused during this very long day, I’ve scheduled a series of online knit-a-longs hosted by eight yarn shops across North America. Beginning in Florida, we’ll follow the sun across the continent and end in Washington. You can check in, give me a “way to go, thumbs up” emoji, and hang out for an hour of chat and encouragement and even some prizes! All five sessions are free and will take place on Zoom.
- Start the Longest Day KAL at Four Purls of Winter Haven, Florida. This zoom session begins at 6:00 am PDT, 7:00 am MDT, 8:00 am CDT, 9:00 am EDT, 10:00 am ADT, and 10:30 am in NL.
- Move on to Knit and Stitch Boutique of Cocoa, Florida. This session will begin at am 7:30 am PDT, 8:30 am MDT, 9:30 am CDT, 10:30 am EDT, 11:30 am ADT, and 12:00 pm in NL.
- The next stop will be at Hill Country Weavers of Austin, Texas. This zoom session will be at 9:00 am PDT, 10:00 am MDT, 11:00 am CDT, 12:00 pm EDT, 1:00 pm ADT, and 1:30 pm in NL.
- Drop in on me again, courtesy of Longmont Yarn Shoppe of Longmont, Colorado. This zoom session will begin at 10:30 am PDT, 11:30 pm MDT, 12:30 pm CDT, 1:30 pm EDT, 2:30 pm ADT, and 3:00 pm in NL.
- Keep knitting (or take a nap), then join River City Yarns of Edmonton, Alberta for an afternoon session starting at 12:00 pm PDT, 1:00 pm MDT, 2:00 pm CDT, 3:00 pm EDT, 4:00 pm ADT, and 4:30 pm in NL.
- Continue on at All Wound Up of Edmonds, Washington, starting at 2:00 pm PDT, 3:00 pm MDT, 4:00 pm CDT, 5:00 pm EDT, 6:00 pm ADT, and 6:30 pm in NL.
- Then hop over to Kid Ewe Knot of Bridgeville, Pennsylvania. This session will begin at 4:00 pm PDT, 5:00 pm MDT, 6:00 pm CDT, 7:00 pm EDT, 8:00 pm ADT, and 8:30 pm in NL.
- We’ll finish up our cross-continent KAL with a visit at the Bazaar Girls Yarn Shop of Port Townsend, Washington. This session starts at 5:30 pm PDT, 6:30 pm MDT, 7:30 pm CDT, 8:30 pm EDT, 9:30 pm ADT, and 10:00 pm in NL.
Also, please visit my fundraiser page and make a donation. To encourage donations, I’ll enter your name in a raffle for every $50 you donate (donate $50 and get one chance to win, donate $100 and get two changes to win, and so on). The winner will receive the Fading Memories Cowl 2023 that I knit during the event.